Wanderful Words No. 19: A Misty Hike to Alamere Falls

by Ekua on April 2, 2010 in California,captured on memory card,local discoveries,wanderful words

“In the spring, at the end of the day you should smell like dirt.”

– Margaret Atwood

As I wrote last weekend, this past week was my Spring Break and I had no travel plans. So I contacted the awesome Lauren Quinn to see if she could take me on the Palomarin Hike she’d mentioned in her Top Three Travel Secrets post.

The day of our hike was super foggy. As we arrived to begin the hike, it wasn’t pouring, so we went ahead with it. Lots of winter rain allowed us to enjoy a few things Californians don’t take for granted– colorful wildflowers, incredibly green vegetation and an abundance of flowing water. Alamere Falls was a nice surprise, it wasn’t like any other waterfall I’d seen before. The water tumbles over the cliff and splashes onto the beach before draining into the ocean.

I used to hate getting dirty, now it’s something I enjoy from time to time. Partly it’s a throwback to my childhood and the other part of it is a sense of being close to the earth. After the hike, I was soaked in mud up to my mid-calf. I washed the jeans and socks I was wearing that day and they are still caked with mud. It was a good day.

Lola April 3, 2010 at 1:13 am

Lovely photos. It’s always great to meet online friends in person.

Ekua April 4, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Thanks 🙂 It was my second meetup with Lauren. It’s especially fun meeting up with travelers because there always fun stories to share with people who can relate!

Nancy April 3, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Beautiful pics. That’s so neat that you met up with Lauren. Looking forward to possibly meeting up while I’m in San Fran next week!

Ekua April 4, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I would love to hang out then. Can you send me an email and let me know when you’re going to be here so I can set aside some time?

Herb April 14, 2010 at 6:41 am

Enjoy my first trip to your website, very cool. Your photos are so crisp, any tips, maybe its the website or my camera, but your shots jump right out to me.

Thanks,
Herb

Ekua April 15, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Thanks for visiting my site, Herb. I use a compact Nikon digital camera. I think it is an S560. It has some pretty good automatic settings to adjust according to the light- cloudy, sunny, fluorescent, etc. I also take my time with the framing of shots to capture my point of view. And then I sometimes edit pictures afterwards to adjust brightness, contrast, clarity, etc. I am not schooled in picture taking or editing so it’s really just been all about practice!