A Letter to Mexico

by Ekua on June 10, 2010 in Mexico

Dear Mexico,

I have neglected you. Living in California most of my life, you’ve often seemed too close and familiar to me. I don’t have leave my state to enjoy your culture and fantastic cuisine.

Many times I’ve rejected you in favor of more far-flung seeming places. I never even had a college spring break experience with you. I thought that a couple trips just beyond the border were sufficient. But there’s so much more to you than that.

Here in Mexico City, I’m only beginning to realize all I’ve been missing out on. Yes, your capital city does feel very familiar to me, but it is wonderfully distinctly Mexican despite an obvious American influence.

This summer I plan visit your cities, explore your culture and maybe hit up a beach or two. A national park would be great as well. Still, I will barely begin to make up for my neglect… but I will try.

Sincerely,
Ekua

Lauren Quinn June 15, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I totally relate! When people ask me what are my favorite countries that I’ve visited, it always feel a little unexotic to say Mexico. But it’s really in my top 5. And it’s huge! Sharing a continent with Canada and the US, I often forget how big and diverse Mexico is.

Hope you’re having fun!

Ekua June 19, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Haha, by the end of my time in Mexico, I may be joining you in listing Mexico as a favorite!

Fly Girl June 17, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Mexico has so much more to it than tacos and tequila. The country has such a rich culture that varies from region to region. I look forward to your posts about it.

Ekua June 19, 2010 at 8:56 pm

In fact there is so much to do in Mexico that I realize how much I will have to leave for the next trip 😉

Mary R June 21, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I feel the same about Mexico. It’s so near and accessible, yet I find myself traipsing off to more distant places. What I learned about Mexico over the years, though, is that it’s an amazing place full of surprises. And Mexican culture in the States is watered down compared to the real thing…

Ekua June 27, 2010 at 10:34 am

Mexico is so big and it´s kind of a place that you want to take your time traveling through. I think I have sooo many more trips to Mexico that I will need to make. Being here, I actually don´t think the Mexican culture is watered down in California amongst immigrants, but I think a younger generation of Mexicans/Chicanos who try to assimilate into the culture of US cities or suburbs tend to skew people´s ideas of Mexican culture. I definitely see that now that I am here!

Tanya C June 22, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I lived in Mexico for half a year 4 years ago and I absolutely LOVED it! It’s a shame that most people think they “know” Mexico but they really don’t. It’s a country filled with such culture. Chiapas is a must see!

Ekua June 27, 2010 at 10:36 am

I know I must go to Chiapas someday, but not on this trip! I don´t want to rush around, and I have been loving Oaxaca state so far! But most travelers who´ve been to Chiapas have great things to say about it… someday 😉

Andi August 15, 2010 at 7:51 am

Sadly, most people who do visit Mexico, forgo the best cities for the tourist traps. Mexico is SUCH a gem!!!

Ekua August 15, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I was talking to one of my coworkers about this subject before I left. Her take on it was that it saves the best places for like-minded travelers who want down to earth experiences. I like that take! I really enjoyed the people I met in the DF and Oaxaca and how although I totally stood out, I wasn’t hassled for being a tourist or by salespeople very often.