Return to Mexico

by Ekua on June 15, 2011 in general travel,Mexico

I feel like I let people down with my summer travel plans.

Everyone: “I know you’re going somewhere exciting this summer! Where are you off to?”

Me: “I’m going to Mexico!”

Almost Everyone: Confused pause. “Again?”

It’s the country next door. I went there last summer. It doesn’t seem exotic enough to people here in California. I guess as the crazy travel girl who goes there so you don’t have to, my choice to revisit Mexico may seem like I’m throwing a wet blanket last year’s travel thrills like Cuba and India.

Okay, so there’s more when it comes to my summer travel plans. More on that later. Right now, Mexico.

I can’t wait to explore the jungley watery state of Chiapas, reunite with quite a few of the the great people I met last summer, sit on a plastic stool in the middle of the street in Oaxaca and eat an Oaxaca-style empanada, stand on the sidewalk in Mexico City and eat a taco, for rain that’s not cold, for the wonderful skies, for the cacti, for the colorful traditions, for the colorful buildings.

I didn’t get enough last summer. I’m curious to see if its possible to get enough.

Sunee June 17, 2011 at 12:03 am

Don’t worry, Mexico is still exotic to most of the rest of us, and besides, you’re travelling for yourself, not for others 🙂 I’ve been wanting to visit Mexico for ages, so am again looking forward to your posts about it.

Ekua June 20, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Now that I’m here, aside from Mexicans, I’ve mostly met Europeans and Australians who’ve traveled a lot further to get here and I love their excitement about Mexico compared to a lot of Californians 😉

Terri- Try Anything Once June 17, 2011 at 5:09 am

At least you’re going somewhere. That’s all that counts. I haven’t been to Mexico in years! I stayed quite north, so I never got a chance o go to places like Oaxaca (I love saying Oaxaca btw). Have a great time!

Ekua June 20, 2011 at 4:28 pm

It’s definitely fun to say Oaxaca, haha. The x’s in Mexico can be daunting, but are quite fun to say once you figure out how to pronounce words that use them.

Jenn Beard June 18, 2011 at 9:35 am

That’s funny, I also feel like I let people down if my vacation of choice isn’t exotic enough. I spent my 30th birthday in Vegas and everyone was like, oh, hmm, that’s nice. It was fun, I just wanted to relax and have a good time and I did. I hope you have a blast on your vacation!

Ekua June 20, 2011 at 4:30 pm

For me, I just wanted to go to a place I already knew and liked and go deeper. I wasn’t really interested in too much of challenge! So far, very happy with my decision to come back here!

Lauren Quinn June 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm

I feel like I get the same response. In North America, Mexico just doesn’t seem that exotic or interesting to people. But it’s fucking bad ass, one of my favorite countries—and the only one I crave. I crave it the same way I crave rapini. I don’t understand that, and I suppose I don’t have to.

Stoked for you, and hope you have a blast!

Ekua June 20, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Come join me here! Mexico City was just as awesome as I remembered and I’m going back at the end. Can’t say I love the Chiapas hippie scene, but just arrived in San Cristobal and I think there will be some interesting stuff to discover here.

Odysseus June 21, 2011 at 12:24 am

Well, *I* am excited to read about your trip to Mexico. I grew up in the northern mid-west states. Mexico still seems all glittery and far away to me.

Ekua June 21, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Even though I’ve lived in a state next to Mexico most of my life and have been exposed to a bit of Mexican culture there, it really doesn’t compare to visiting. There’s so much to discover about Mexican culture!

Marie June 30, 2011 at 11:07 am

YES! I can’t wait to be back too! Mexico…our Mexico.

Ekua July 1, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I was wondering if I just got lucky last year, but I’m loving it just as much the second time around!