Photo Essay: The Waters of Chiapas at El Chiflon and Lagunas de Montebello

by Ekua on September 18, 2011 in captured on memory card,Mexico,the natural world

Cascadas El Chiflon

At El Chiflon, our driver dropped us off at the base of a mountain and we stopped at the site’s various waterfalls while making our way up to the top. The highlight was Cascada Velo de Novia (Bridal Veil Falls), an incredibly powerful 120 meter waterfall that bisects a vivid cliff side.

Lagunas de Montebello

It had been a long day of sitting in a van when we finally reached Lago Tziscao (the first lake pictured below) at Parque Nacional Lagunas de Montebello. Our driver pointed to the other end of the lake and said, “That’s Guatemala over there.” As someone with a serious and persistent case of wanderlust, this woke me up pretty quickly. It may sound strange, but even though I had no plans to cross the border, I was thrilled to be standing there on the verge of one country, thinking about the possibilities in the next one.

From that Lago Tziscao, we visited a few more of the 50 + colorful lakes that make up the Parque Nacional Lagunas de Montebello. At the park, you can camp, hike, and go horseback riding and at certain lakes you can swim or kayak. So if you’re interested in visiting Lagunas de Montebello, I’d recommend setting aside a few days to enjoy the park to the fullest.

This is part two in a three part series of photo essays that highlights the waters of the beautifully saturated state of Chiapas, Mexico: bodies of water, waterfalls, the exponential shades of green vegetation that the water nourishes, and a few animals that feed on what the water provides and produces.

Part 1
Part 3

Candice September 19, 2011 at 5:58 am

Ahhh, beautiful! The greenness of that water is lovely.

Ekua September 19, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Thanks! These lakes were gorgeous and we hardly saw anyone there. If I go back to Chiapas, I would want to head straight over to this lake region and spend some quality time there!

Terri- Try Anything Once September 20, 2011 at 7:22 am

Gorgeous! Thanks for highlighting this part of Mexico. So often travels focuses on the coastal beachy parts. I didn’t know about these areas. Informative as usual.

Ekua September 20, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Thanks, Terri. I’m always glad to share sides of places that veer from the typical way they are presented!

Angela September 22, 2011 at 1:52 am

Beautiful pictures, I love waterfalls. The place looks very peaceful, I would love to go and sit there for hours 😀

Ekua September 22, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Chiapas is kind of an out of the way state in Mexico and these places are even more out of the way compared to some of the other attractions in Chiapas… so both of these places definitely were very peaceful. I could’ve spent a day at El Chiflon and a few days that the Lagunas!

Michaela Hall September 23, 2011 at 7:20 am

I really love the way that you were able to capture such wonderful pictures of nature and the wildlife. That waterfall is just amazing!

Kimberley Randall November 1, 2012 at 2:42 am

I’m curious as to which accommodation you stayed in? I’m wanting to take the exact same trip! Thanks, Kimberley

Ekua November 2, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I think it was called Hostal Iguana… it was alright but I’m sure there are better places out there. You don’t need to stay in any particular place to take this trip, most accommodations in tourist towns in Mexico offer day trips or you can book directly with a travel agency which you’ll easily spot as you’re walking around town.