Photo Essay: The Unique Sculpture Art of Prague

by Ekua on April 21, 2012 in captured on memory card,Czech Republic

Coming from the street art and graffiti covered Berlin, Prague had initially seemed wholesome in comparison. My first sighting of anything street art related was a clean up crew painting over a graffitied wall in the Old Town Square.

I get it — Prague’s scenery has so much character already embedded in it. Compared to some other European cities in the region, much more of its historical architecture survived the destruction of World War II. A really visible street art scene would be incongruous there.

What I did find in Prague was a thriving government sanctioned yet often eccentric public art scene. In parks, squares, and along the Vltava river, I spotted fantastic sculpture art that ranged from quirky to perplexing to bizarre:

Fly Girl April 22, 2012 at 6:21 am

Very interesting indeed! That first sculpture looks like something I do in yoga with straps but I love those penguins the most.

Ekua April 23, 2012 at 11:39 pm

The penguins were my favorite too. So random!

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures April 22, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Love love love!!!!!

Globetrottergirls April 22, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Didn’t know that Prague had so much awesome sculpture art – think we have to go back there soon 🙂 Great photos!

Ekua April 23, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Thanks! A friend I made in Mexico who had studied abroad in Prague tipped me off about the sculpture scene there. I didn’t go see it in person, but I know that some of the creepy faceless babies can also be spotted climbing up the Prague TV tower! That would definitely be something to look into if you find yourself in Prague again.

InsideJourneys April 23, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Some of these are pretty quirky but I like them. I applaud any city that has any kind of public art.

Ekua April 23, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I’m a big fan of art that’s out in the open as well… when I travel, I always feel that murals, street art, and public art reveal so much about what a culture is or what it’s striving to be!

Michi April 25, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I LOVE Prague, and statues are my thing! 😉 [http://michimichimichi3.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/traveling-quirks/] How did I not notice all of this wonderful sculpture art when I was there??
The crawling baby one is interesting, I’d like to know what the artist’s intentions were, or if he/she just went with it when making the face. I’d love to go back and visit again!

Ekua April 29, 2012 at 8:33 pm

The artist is David Cerny and he’s known for making twisted and controversial art: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_%C4%8Cern%C3%BD