Hey Girl, Whatcha Doin’?

by Ekua on June 2, 2012 in etcetera

A few new things happening in the world of Girl, Unstoppable:

Website Design Change

One of the things I enjoy about maintaining a website on my own is the opportunity to change it when I feel inspired to do so. I’m no web designer, but I’ve come to appreciate the process of figuring out the mysterious code (CSS) I need to use to achieve a desired result. I’ve been wanting to change my design for awhile and started browsing my photos and fonts for inspiration. I came across this picture that I took from a bus while my group zoomed along a highway in the Pinar del Rio province on the Cuban countryside. I love the scenery and that it captures the blurry movement of travel. When I found the font, it clicked and a new blog design was born. If you’re viewing this on a reader or through email, head on over to the site to check it out. I know it’s probably bad blogging practice to have such a huge static header, but I like it and the rest of the changes so far. I hope you do too!

Solo Female Travel Workshop

In San Francisco on Thursday, June 7, I will be taking part in a travel workshop put on by the Northern California branch of Hostelling International. It’s geared towards women who are interested in traveling solo for the first time and looking for inspiration or those who’ve already traveled solo and want to find ways to enhance their journeys. I’ll be on a panel with other solo traveling female bloggers from the Bay Area discussing such topics as staying safe on the road, sticking to a travel budget, and navigating gender roles in a new culture. If you’re in the area, come by and check it out! For more info, take a look at this event listing and RSVP here.

Also, check out a couple articles I wrote for Hostelling International:
Β» On discovering awesome alternative art galleries in San Francisco’s Tenderloin district
Β» On the Stern Grove Festival’s 75th anniversary season and the colorful history of the park it’s held in

Social Media

If you’re a regular reader of Girl, Unstoppable, don’t forget to support me by following me on Twitter and Facebook. I also recently joined Pinterest and it’s a officially a love affair. It’s as addictive as people say it is. I pin a lot of travel related stuff such as places to visit, creative travel items, food from around the world, and some of my own favorite travel photos. I’m also enjoying discovering and pinning innovative art and being inspired by people whose creativity is boundless. Follow my pins to join in!

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures June 2, 2012 at 1:32 pm

LOVE the new look!!!!!!

Ekua June 3, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Thanks, Andi. I was thinking about how long it’s been since those Travbuddy days!

Chinye June 2, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I’ve been following your blog for some time and I love the new look! I recently changed my blog’s look as well so I know allll the work that goes in to making changes. Great job!

Ekua June 3, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Thanks for stopping by! Yeah, working on the back end of a website with no computer background is like navigating a culture where you don’t speak the language. So I take it on with gusto πŸ˜› Still have a few glitches to work out but I’m getting there.

sojourner June 3, 2012 at 11:18 am

Great job on the site update. I love the new pic.
Question, a friend and I are currently contemplating a trip to Cuba. Do you have any advice on working out the entrance technicalities? I’ve read that it’s easier to fly in from the Islands as opposed to Canada. Any insight is much appreciated. Best- Sojourner

Ekua June 3, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Thanks πŸ™‚ For Cuba, I didn’t feel like flying north to go back south so I ruled out Canada immediately. Also, I wanted to fly through a place where I could stop and travel around in so I went through Mexico! A lot of the flights went through Cancun, but I didn’t want to go there so I went through Mexico City. If you have more questions, feel free to email me: girlunstoppable at gmail dot com.

Sojourner June 5, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Will do. This was really helpful. Thanks πŸ™‚

Sunee June 6, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Like the new cover photo! Just one small gripe – I can’t read the entire blog post in Google Reader anymore! I know this is probably for traffic reasons, but how am I supposed to read on the sly at work now? πŸ˜‰

Ekua June 7, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Sorry, Sunee! I’m going to experiment for a couple weeks and see if it changes anything… I’m not really sure how full posts vs. partial posts in a feed affects things.