Photo Essay: Graffiti and Abandoned Places in Berlin

by Ekua on July 22, 2012 in captured on memory card,Germany,street art

An outer layer of paint can make a destination memorable. Jaipur, India is known as the Pink City because of the dusty rose-colored buildings that make up its historical center. Santorini is known for its white buildings against the brilliant blue sea, and the colonial towns of Mexico for their bright multicolored rows of buildings.

In Berlin, rather than a color or set of colors, the decorative theme that lingers in your mind is the collective scrawl of anyone who can get their hands on a can of spray paint.

The combination of abandoned spaces, drab boxy buildings, decades of formidable history, and an outspoken population that seems to both struggle with and thrive on its city’s reputation of being poor have all contributed to Berlin becoming one of the most graffiti-heavy places in the world:

Dani July 23, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Berlin, you are so cool!! πŸ™‚

Ekua July 23, 2012 at 9:56 pm

My friend was always sighing because I kept stopping to taking pictures of “ugly” scenes. I just couldn’t help it though – the grimy, outspoken, lowbrow art side of Berlin fascinates me!

NS July 26, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I so loved these photos. I was in Berlin last year but never looked at the city from this angle.

Ekua July 26, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Thanks! Graffiti was one of the first things I noticed in Berlin I think because of seeing the Berlin Wall remnants covered with it and the distinctness of all the scribbles against the boxy buildings. These photos are all a result of taking the scenic route (aka, getting lost), walking to and from subway stations, and sneaking behind fences πŸ˜‰

NS July 27, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I wish I had done that rather than sit all prim and proper in a tourist bus and look through the window!

Ekua July 27, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Next time πŸ˜›

Carla August 2, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I always love viewing pictures of graffiti or getting a close look of it as well as abandoned buildings. I generally just allow my mind to wander and create a story.

Ekua August 3, 2012 at 11:45 am

Totally… Aside from the raw and sort of ugly beauty of abandoned places, I am always fascinated with urban decay because it makes me stop and think about what places might have been like when they were functioning and occupied and how they got to the state they’re in now. Thanks for dropping by my site, Carla!